Contributed by reader, Jen Carmichael
August 13, 2014.
Those who have just been through rehab for an addiction to drugs and alcohol often say that is like being to hell and back. As ‘survivors’ wade through the precarious waters of withdrawal, counseling and nutritional programs, they begin to feel that there is a future to look forward to, people who still love them and new friends to be made. Yet as they take their first tentative steps out of rehab, panic and doubt can suddenly wash over them – Where to begin? Who to call? What activities and classes to sign up for? Does the sound of a sunny summer in Austria, a fun-filled four-wheel-drive yoga ‘Glamping’ safari or a customized retreat offering everything from yoga to spa treatments and skiing, sound appealing? If it does, what about a new adventure with Elevated Retreat? If you have just been through the a difficult life process, such as addiction, an eating disorder or even a big personal loss, you don’t need to jump from A to B as soon as you are officially on the track to a more positive life. Health and wellness, you will find, are a journey that never ends and rather than take on more than you can handle, after rehab, the thing you probably need the most – is to have fun and to learn relaxation techniques. These are just a few reasons why an Elevated Retreat can do you more good than you ever imagined:
- Yoga is a great way to battle stress: A number of recent studies have shown that yoga is an excellent complementary therapy for many stressful diseases and conditions, including breast cancer, anxiety and depression. This is owing to its ability to lower levels of stress hormone, cortisol, in both the short- and long-term. It is no wonder that yoga has been recommended both by researchers and doctors – high levels of stress are related to poorer outcomes, both for those facing cancer and mental conditions alike. Yoga has also been found to lower fatigue, which leads to greater strength and flexibility. As recovering addicts notice the positive changes in their bodies, they are more likely to pursue further exercise and begin to focus on a healthy lifestyle, which includes a sound nutritional plan.
- Yoga focuses on mindfulness: Yoga encourages us to live ‘in the moment’, to concentrate on pranayamic breathing and on performing particular asanas and; this helps our thoughts steer clear of negative forebodings and worries. Mindfulness reminds us that we are in control of body and mind.
- Mindfulness and meditation teach the importance of compassion: Scientific studies have proven that mindfulness promotes empathy and compassion in human beings. In teaching us that we are part of the whole and that everyone deserves compassion and understanding, it becomes easier to reconcile ourselves with other human beings.
- At Elevated Retreats, you can look forward to soothing treatments like massage: Massage is not only an excellent way to relax and de-stress; it also helps us release toxins from the body, which is particularly useful after a battle against an addiction to alcohol or substances.
- Life coaching can help you get back on track: If you have left rehab and you are unsure as the first steps you should take from both a personal and professional stance, life coaching may be exactly what you need. Elevated Retreats’ highly skilled and experienced coaches will help you identify what stirs your passion and teach you countless skills that will enable you to pursue your personal definition of happiness.
- Elevated Retreats are a whole lot of fun: Addiction is a terribly serious thing and at rehab, those recovering are called upon to face pretty serious issues about their choices and experiences. Yet in addition to facing our fears and demons head-on, it is also important to let our hair down and enjoy; to experience the documented benefits of exercising in the midst of Nature and to remind ourselves of the many reasons why life is worth living. As we paddle board through a still sea, waterski at crazy speeds and bike into the verdant heart of Nature, keeping a positive outlook on life somehow becomes an effortless pursuit. The retreats in the beautiful mining town of Telluride offers a particularly spectacular experience with Nature – a world-class ski resort is married to heavenly waterfalls and 13 and 14 thousand-foot peaks, making the area one of the most beautiful in North America.